I come from a Cuban family, so I loooooove my Cuban food. It helps to explain my current weight issues as Cuban meals tend to require the following: (1) White rice; (2) Beans; (3) Potatoes; and (4) Some kind of deliciously fatty meat.
I know that I will not be able to avoid Cuban food, but I am trying to make it a healthier option for myself. Yesterday, my mother made some DEE-LISH-US Turkey Picadillo. Try it. You will LOVE it! We served ours over a little brown rice and let me tell you, we cleaned our plates!
Here’s the recipe if anyone is interested!
Servings: About 8-10
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: About 30-45 Minutes
- 3 or 4 Tbsp of Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 FRESH* Onion – Finely chopped
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper – Finely chopped
- 3 FRESH* Garlic cloves – minced
- 1 package of ground turkey (they usually come in 1.3 lbs packages)
- 1 package of ground turkey breast
- A “splash” of your favorite white wine (about 1/3 cup). Do not use sweet wines.
- 5 or 6 Pimento stuffed olives with a small splash of olive juice
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- 1 Tsp of Oregano
- 2 Red Potatoes diced up
- 1 Small can (about 3 oz.) of low sodium Tomato puree
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a large pan with raised sides heat up the EVOO to Medium-Medium High.
- When the oil is warm add in the diced onions and peppers.
- Once the onions begin to soften add the minced garlic.
- Once the garlic has soften raise temperature to Medium High and add in the ground turkey and ground turkey breast. Stir all ingredients together well.
- Add in olives, olive juice, wine, cumin, oregano, tomato puree, potatoes and salt/pepper.
- If the mix looks a little dry add a bit of water. About 3/4 of an inch up the pan.
- Cover and reduce heat to Medium Low.
- Stir periodically.
- Potatoes should be tender and picadillo be delicious in about 30-40. (The perfect amount of time if you set your brown rice to cook just before preparing the picadillo.)
You can serve this over Quinoa or Brown Rice. ENJOY!
If you tried this recipe, write a comment and let me know how it went!